Wednesday, June 25, 2008

two pages



Two pages from a comic that I started years ago and never quite finished. I still dig the concept so I'll probably come back to it some day, but I'll have to redraw the whole thing since it's been so long. There's just no way to fake it.

I can only think of one example off the top of my head of anybody trying to add stuff years after the fact: Dave Cooper's "Dan and Larry" collection. I think he had to add a few panels here and there because the dimensions of the book were different than the original serialization. And man do they stand out like sore thumbs. But how could they not? He put his heart and soul into the original drawings, and now he has a different heart and soul. If you have to devote a chunk of your brainpower to imitating your old sensibilities and devices, that's a chunk that's not going into the drawing itself.

2 comments:

sensitiveandimportant said...

I never noticed that in Dan & Larry, I'll have to go back and reread it.

As beautiful and as painful as that will be.

These 2 pages are still amazing.

Thomas Herpich said...

Oops- sorry. You'll never not be able to see it now.

One discomforting book that is. I haven't reread it ever. Though it sure does have some really really incredible crosshatching in it (if I remember right...)

(and thanks about my pages)